Honduras

< View all countries

Country Snapshot

The GPS Country Snapshot includes 25 sections of information about labor law compliance in Honduras. See a sample of popular sections below.

Termination of Employment

The Honduran Labor Code requires employers to give a written dismissal notice indicating the cause for termination of employment contract. If the contract is oral, notice can be given verbally before 2 witnesses. The length of the notice period differs depending on the employee’s length of service as follows:

  • 24 hours notice for service of fewer than three months
  • One week of notice for service between three and six months
  • Two weeks of notice for service between six and twelve months
  • One month of notice for service between one and two years
  • Two months of notice for service of more than two years

Said notices can be omitted by any of the parties paying the other the corresponding amount. 

Work Permits

In Honduras, in addition to the documentation required for a visa, migrants applying for a work permit (special residence permit) must have the following:

  • An application submitted by the natural or legal person requesting the migrant worker's services from abroad
  • Proof from the Ministry of Labor and Social Security certifying compliance with the constitutional provision regarding hiring foreigners
  • Proof that the employment lasts more than 3 months

Special residence permits are issued for a duration of 1 to 5 years. 

Paid Annual Leave

The Labor Code of Honduras provides for fully paid maternity leave for ten weeks (70 days) upon proof of pregnancy in the form of a medical certificate that indicates pregnancy, the expected date of delivery, and the date of commencement of maternity leave. The ten weeks of maternity leave are split into two parts: four weeks before the expected delivery date and six weeks after.

Employees receive their normal wages while out on maternity leave. The Honduran Institute of Social Security covers 66% of wages for insured employees while the employer is responsible for paying the remaining 34% of salary. If the employee is not enrolled with the Social Security Institute or has not made at least 10 contributions immediately before the start of maternity leave, the employer is liable to pay the employee's full salary. 

Working Hours

The Honduran Labor Code sets the standard workday at 8 hours and the standard workweek at 44 hours for daytime work (36 hours for night work). Employees are paid 48 hours per week of salary.  Employees working greater than these standard hours must be paid overtime. 

The Labor Code defines daytime work as any work performed between 5:00 AM and 7:00 PM and night work as work performed between 7:00 PM and 5:00 AM. In the case of mixed workdays that include both daytime and night work, the night work hours may not exceed 3, otherwise, it will be considered a night shift. A mixed day can be a maximum of 7 hours, and a mixed week cannot exceed 42 working hours.

Maternity Leave

The Labor Code of Honduras provides for fully paid maternity leave for ten weeks (70 days) upon proof of pregnancy in the form of a medical certificate that indicates pregnancy, the expected date of delivery, and the date of commencement of maternity leave. The ten weeks of maternity leave are split into two parts: four weeks before the expected delivery date and six weeks after.

Employees receive their normal wages while out on maternity leave. The Honduran Institute of Social Security covers 66% of wages for insured employees while the employer is responsible for paying the remaining 34% of salary. If the employee is not enrolled with the Social Security Institute or has not made at least 10 contributions immediately before the start of maternity leave, the employer is liable to pay the employee's full salary. 

Minimum Wage

Depending on the size of the company and industry, the minimum wage may vary. The current minimum monthly wage rates vary between HNL 8,581.45 (Honduran lempiras)  for agriculture, forestry, fishing, and hunting industries and HNL 16,856.25 for financial institutions, real estate, and services provided to companies.

Salary must be paid in a periodic manner, the term of which is set by the employees and employer, not exceeding 1 week for manual workers or 1 month for other employees and domestic workers. 

Country Profile

The GPS Country Profile contains detailed information on over 60 topics related to labor law compliance within Honduras.
  • Type of Employment Relationship
  • Permanent Employment
  • Fixed-Term or Specific-Purpose Contracts
  • Temporary Employment Contracts
  • Part-time Employment
  • Young Worker Employment
  • Vendors and Independent Contractors
  • Types of Contracts
  • Probationary Period
  • Termination of the Contract of Employment
  • Grounds for Termination
  • Notice of Dismissal
  • Fair Dismissal
  • Redundancy
  • Unfair Dismissal
  • Suspension of Contract of Employment
  • Severance Benefits
  • Hours of Work
  • Work Week and Timekeeping
  • Night Work and Shift Work
  • Overtime
  • Remote Work
  • Required Time Off
  • Public Holidays
  • Annual Leave
  • Sick Leave
  • Maternity
  • Other Forms of Leave
  • Social Insurance and Retirement
  • Social Security Contribution
  • National Retirement Scheme
  • Dependents’/Survivors Benefit
  • Life and Disability Insurance/Benefit
  • Statutory Allowances
  • Compensation and Benefits
  • Minimum Wage (Basic Wage)
  • Bonuses, Profit Sharing and Other Compensation
  • Medical Insurance
  • Work Environment
  • Workplace Safety and Health
  • Prohibition of Discrimination
  • Prohibition of Harassment
  • Data Protection and Privacy
  • Whistleblowers and Retaliation
  • Workers’ representation in the organization
  • Freedom of Association
  • Registration and Recognition of Unions
  • Trade Union Personality
  • Collective Bargaining and Agreements
  • Disputes and Settlements
  • Strikes and Lockouts
  • Unfair Labor Practices
  • Taxation of Compensation and Benefits
  • Income Tax
  • Taxation of Employee Benefits
  • Tax Filing and Payment Procedures
  • Double Tax Relief and Tax Treaties
  • Visas and Work Permits
  • Visas
  • Work Permits and Residence Permits

 Country Snapshot

Get the full Country Snapshot with 25 sections of information about labor law in Honduras.